CICS Cobol Developer
Our Boston, MA client is in need of multiple COBOL/CICS Developers to join their team ASAP!
The Senior Application Developer will work in a team environment to design, code, test, debug and support mission critical systems providing a range of services including maintaining or making significant enhancements to existing software systems. The developer may serve as a development/technical team lead and will assist in project analysis to develop project cost and time estimates, develop problem resolutions and solutions, assist in creating system development test plans for complex applications, write all levels of application software programs, promote software configuration management standards, follow our SDLC process and support team oriented development models. The developer will work with a Project Manager in a process oriented environment for all assigned projects. The developer will be required to successfully complete all assigned tasks, gain a complete understanding of each overall project and business application, and to remain current with the latest technologies and industry/business trends. This position may require occasionally working extra hours and being on stand-by status.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for performing the following duties:
- Perform as a technical lead, as required, for assigned projects
- Perform as a development team lead, as required, to insure development project tasks are following best practices coding standards, development tasks are on schedule, report any issues to the Project Manager and keep the Application Manager informed of the project status
- As a development team lead, where applicable, manage the staff progress against project tasks and work with the staff to attain overall project goals
- Leads and performs technical analysis on application development projects
- Develop technology projects using software development life cycle (SDLC), including prototyping, technical design and specifications determined from business requirement documents
- Implement programming changes to production following life cycle and release strategy procedures
- Ensures that software projects are completed according to product specifications and are properly documented
- Facilitates communication upward and across project teams including project status, cost information, justifications for variances and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives).
- Trains team members in development practices and standards
- Mentors less experienced and/ or technical team members
- Adheres to all security standards and directives.
- Follows development coding standards for secure and non-secure environments
- Conducts and/or participates in peer code reviews, either as a reviewer or developer
- Work with cross-functional participants to translate customer needs and technology directions into application definitions, including user groups, network service teams, IT development groups and technology vendors to maximize opportunities in the agency's Web-based presence.
- Troubleshoot issues, identify and implement resolutions and work with technical and business staff to ensure timely deployment.
- Complete assigned tasks in an organized and efficient manner.
- Understand and work to project plans while demonstrating an understanding of the larger goals of the organization.
- Develop workload estimates, and project schedules in order to complete projects on schedule and as requested by the user.
- Coordinate work of other programmer analyst as required, or users assigned to the project.
- Modify existing applications for software updates, or user requests by analyzing systems to determine the appropriate changes.
- Prepare program and system documentation for users and Production Support/Operations for proper execution of production or test jobs. Documentation must be accepted during the documentation turnover process.
- Makes recommendations on technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility
- Work with computer operations and/or users to resolve production problems as required. This may require returning to work or accepting phone calls after normal scheduled work hours to resolve issues.
- Attend training, as required, to support assigned systems. Training may be in-house or offsite.
- Work with vendors, IT technical staff, and other application development groups to provide technical information and instructions for supported systems.
- Assist in staff development; one-on-one assistance.
- Support assigned production system failures/issues on a timely basis and document corrective action.
- Participates in investigation and feasibility study of new technology; participates in planning of new technology.
- Perform other related duties as required by IT management.
- 7+ years demonstrated experience of developing larger-scale, enterprise applications
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in some/all of the following technologies:
- Enterprise COBOL for z/OS
- IBM Utilities (IDCAMS, Repro, CSDF, CECI)
- CICS (Transaction Server Level 3+)
- IDMS R12 or Greater
- CA Panvalet
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Experience with source control software
- Experience with Abend-Aid
- Experience performing as a team/technical lead for development projects
- Ability to work individually or within a team environment
- Ability to analyze software problems and issues in order to determine a solution.
- Ability to engineer software solutions that integrates with multiple vendor software solutions and products.
- Ability to translate business requirements into a technical design
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work individually or within a team environment
- Must be able to pay attention to detail
- Must exhibit a positive approach and the ability to work efficiently as either an individual contributor and team lead
- Experience with IBM Assembler is a plus
- Experience with Informatica PowerExchange and PowerCenter is a plus
- Experience with Oracle (10g, 11g) and PL/SQL and/or SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 and Transact-SQL is a plus
- Experience with SQL is a plus
- Understanding of Web based solutions and Web transaction processing is a plus
- Experience with File-Aid
- Experience with DML/O
- Experience with InterTest (CICS & Batch)
- Experience integrating existing systems with third-party packages and SaaS vendors
- Demonstrated knowledge of application architecture and design best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of formal Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies
- Proven track record of delivering application projects on time and on budget
- Experience with application support methodologies
- Knowledge of ITIL standards and best practices
- Knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture(SOA) standards and best practices
- Must have strong analytical skills, interpersonal skills and written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate creative thinking
- Ability to develop relationships within the team and across the business
- Strong willingness to learn new technologies, dive into challenges and provide direction
Please send your updated resume to email@example.com for immediate consideration.