Posted by PeopleSERVE
Employment Type: Contract
Job Id: 4296
Our Boston client is seeking a Sr. SQL Server DBA whose primary responsibilities will be to support and maintain the SQL Server environment. The current environment consists of SQL 2008, 2012, and clustered 2014 environments. The selected candidate will have primary and additional responsibilities as described below.
The primary responsibilities of the Microsoft SQL Server Senior Database Administrator will be to perform SQL Server Database Administration activities with duties including: performance tuning, operating platforms, data modeling, monitoring, database capacity and utilization, server applications security, archiving, backups, disaster recovery, and documentation; construct and maintain data systems to ensure efficient data access and usage, security (permission and access) and protection of the data; working on the physical data models and architecture with the team; collaborating with the data stewards to ensure policies, definitions, and rules reflect attributes; perform data integrity and quality audits, developing Database Administration policies and procedures as needed.
As time permits, the candidate will assist a highly skilled team in a fast-paced environment in the upgrade of older versions of Microsoft SQL Server databases (2005, 2008) to Microsoft SQL Server 2014. While this activity will not be the candidate’s primary responsibility, experience in upgrade projects of similar nature will be favorably considered. The selected candidate will be required to participate in database and impacted application analysis. Upon signoff of the analysis, the candidate is expected to create DBA scripts and execute necessary steps to upgrade the database to the new environment.
- Plan, create, implement, monitor, and maintain backups; restore databases as requested
- Plan, create, implement, and maintain database maintenance plans, including DBCC, defragging indices, etc.; including all supporting documentation.
- Plan, monitor, request allocation and maintain appropriate amounts of disk storage for all SQL Servers; communicate storage estimates to Network Solutions group
- Ensure optimal database and/or server performance, availability, and capacity utilization through proper server configuration, hardware recommendations, software utilities (e.g. defrag utility), individual issue resolution, etc.
- Maintain proper patch levels on SQL Servers
- Provide technical support, troubleshooting and resolution for database related issues
- Create new databases as requested
- Review query plans, optimize index usage, perform TSQL code review and optimization as needed
- Managing and maintaining the current database deployment process
- Managing and maintaining user set up / access
- Scripting and troubleshooting database code fixes
- Troubleshooting performance issues
- Perform some Data Analysis
- Plan, allocate, install, and configure SQL Servers (with appropriate patch level)
- Plan and implement development, staging, and production database environments
- Plan, implement, and maintain Backup and Disaster Recovery solutions
SQL Server Security Administration
- Maintaining proper server, database and data access controls
- Perform internal security audits and scans, identify vulnerabilities
- Plan and recommend SQL Server security strategy
- Organize and facilitate external audits
- Develop comprehensive understanding of current database systems
- Participate in strategic planning of database technology usage such as SQL Server version levels, hardware levels, job automation, failure notifications, server monitoring, etc.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator
- Minimum of five years’ experience with T-SQL and SQL Server Management Studio within a SQL Server environment, ranging from SQL Server 2005, 2008 & 2012. Good knowledge of MSSQL Server 2014.
- Experience with configuration management tools, i.e. Visual SourceSafe, Team Foundation.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with a scripting or .Net language for managing SQL command files and C# programs used in an automated database build environment.
- Demonstrated experience upgrading SQL Server databases
- Proficiency in all DBA tasks with Microsoft SQL Server versions 2000 thru 2014
- Proficiency in the configuration and use of the SQL Server Monitoring tools preferably Redgate
- Expert knowledge of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS
- Understanding and ability to implement database security best practices
- Ability to work on agile projects.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.